Friday, October 2, 2009

No Fumar

As the son of a doctor family, I consider smoking to be absolutely grotesque and bile. It´s also selfish, because people that smoke outside pollute the air others are using, and I believe people have the right to clean air.

My veiws on smoking are to the extreme that I would jump at the chance to pass a law prohibiting any smoking at all, public or private property.
Public property because of the the aforementioned right to clean air that everyone is due. Why should I have to suffer because of your petty addiction?
And private property for fiscal reasons. Tobacco use is the second most preventable cause of death in the United States. The health reprocussions of smoking tremendous, everything from raised heart rate to lung cancer. And the people have to pay for this through their taxes due to our healthcare system. Again, people suffering from others´addictions.

And whenever I pass by a person smoking, I usually start coughing hysterically and procede to asking a companion for an inhaler.

Now imagine a person with such radical views in a country where about half the people smoke.

It´s gotten a bit rediculous at this point. During recreo, we walk outside the school grounds where all the benches are, and once past the gates, my classmates light up in view of teachers. And they smoke with their parents. And people don´t stop smoking until they die, and they start smoking at 15, 14, or even younger.

I´ve already started worrying that I´ll develop a tumor whilst here.

So my plan for Spain:
Put a sin tax on all tobacco products, and deny medical attention to anyone that uses them.

No comments:

Post a Comment