Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Notas

So today I got my first math test back, and I got a six. BOOYAH! It doesn't sound so great because in America, a 6 (or 60 as the equivilant) is almost failing. But here it's like así:
1-4: Mal (Bad)
5: Suficiente (Pass)
6: Bien (Good)
7-8: Notable (I think you can do that one yourself, even if you did take French in High School, you baquette eating war losing smelly Frenchman)
9-10: Fenomenal (Phenomenal)

So for an exchange student on his first test, a 6 is really good.

But then in history...sigh. I got a 3.
BUT considering the fact that only 3 people out of 30 passed, I'd say it's not too bad.

And this brings up two things:
1: America suffers from grade inflation. A C used to be considered a realistic goal and something overall desired. B's and A's were only achieved by those that worked really really REALLY hard.
And now, not so much. Anything less thsn straight A's is failure. A B is a family shame. No wonder American kids commit suicide, sheesh.

2: Everyone here cheats on tests. Like, EVERYONE. I've never cheated before in my life, so to see people so blatantly cheating in front of me is crazy.
It's actually funny, though. You'd think more people would have passed that history test.

1 comment:

  1. I would have thought Europeans were way more "up" on history than us Americans.....

    but eh.

    And the cheating thing is kinda funny...but maybe not so much for you. What does the teacher do? Do they even notice?

    ~ Teresa

    ReplyDelete