Thursday, November 19, 2009

Caos

So today was easily one of my most stressful days in school.

Before I continue, it's important to note that an exchange program in general is extremely stressful, so small things become exagerated. I'm fully interspective of this phenomenon, but I still get stressed regardless.

As I was saying...

Today in school, Carmen, one of my English teachers, didn't come. No subsitutes here, so normally for that class, the 5th period of the day, we would have gone outside and relaxed.
But noooooo. Some of my classmates had the great idea to hunt for out History teacher, who teaches the 6th period, and the Science teacher, who teaches the 4th period, and persuade them into a new scheduale for the day. It took ten minutes of searching and persuading, but they succeeded. So today 4th period was history and 5th period was science.
The purpose of this was to have a free 6th period so that we could leave early. During those ten minutes, there was so much horseing around, yelling, jumping on eachother and general insanity that I thought they were zoo animals foreshadowing a natural disaster.
Though the age range in my class is 16 to 18, I felt like I was in Kidnergarten.

I don't know if it's my culture or just my personality, but I love structure, order, systems, and predictabilty. Knowing what is going to happen calmes me, because I can properly prepare myself and execute that event to the best of my ability. In my opinion, order keeps the world together.
This sudden shift left me freaking out. I was already anxiously waiting for the results to my test in Castellano (it was promised to be given to me Wednesday. Today is Thursday. I still haven't gotten it) because I knew a lot of people had failed. By the time I got home I had to say a decade of the Rosary to calm myself down. (It works. Don't judge me.)

This is just one incident. Every class there's too much noise from talking students and noise from yelling teachers at the talking students for talking in the yelling teacher's class. The irony escapes these people.

Personally, I like to go into a classroom, know that my teacher and fellow classmates will be there, know what I'm going to learn, and then learn it. That's too much to ask for in Spain.

Instead, I walk into my classroom exactly on time, half my class arrives five minutes later, then the teacher arrives five minutes after that, then the teacher takes his sweet ol' time getting ready (all they have with them is a folder. I have no idea how they're 'getting ready' exactly. Maybe a few breathing exercises and yoga, I really don't know) then actually starts the class, then the other half of my class comes in, but 3 of them aren't allowed in for being tardy (THE IRONY ESCAPES YOU PEOPLE!) which iniciates fights between the teacher and said students, and rampant discussions between the other students, and then a yelling teacher asking them to be quiet.
Then the bell rings.

1 comment:

  1. ...oh my gawd, is it cruel to be laughing at your suffering?? XD

    *calms down*

    Pat, wow, school in Spain is a LOT different than here in the US....but at the rate things are going here (in some classes at least), I don't know which would be worse. Eh, at least you're getting some exposure? O__O
    People yelling in Spanish?
    Better than people yelling in German....at least the Spanish "I love you" -doesn't sound like a declaration of war....

    That does sound immensely stressful, and intense, and if I were you I think I'd crack. Like really. In the middle of class just jump out a window or something....But then the question in, would they even notice? *sigh*

    It'll sure be culture shock (or culture relief?) when you come back for Senior year....hmm, better not let those Spanish habits manifest too deeply >.<


    ~ Teresa

    ReplyDelete