Monday, November 30, 2009

Cádiz Escapades

So this weekend, I changed familes from Madrid to Cádiz. There were fiscal problems with my exchange family in Madrid, and moving was the best option.

So here are the changes in Cádiz, Europe oldest currently inhabited city:

The Religous Influence: The churches here are absolutely gorgeous, filled with icons and relics and all the jazz. There are altars in the streets with images of Jesus, and whenever people pass them, they bless themselves. There are streets named after disciples and even Jesus doorknobs.

The Architecture: Because the city is so old, it's not designed for car traffic (but the people still try. Oh yes they stubbornly do) The streets are really thin and the sun can't reach them due to the buildings on each side. There's a streeted named 'Ancha' (wide street) because it's really wide: aka, a width that can support two lane traffic. Wow, uhm, really...ancha.

The Climate: It's a lot warmer, and I'm as close to the beach as I was in the United States. But this beach is actually nice to look at. Better put, it's gorgeous. But I'm reminded even more to wear warm clothing. I'm not allowed to leave the house without pants, a scarf, and a wool coat.

The Accent: Another language is hard enough, but in an area where people don't say the S's at the ends of their words...
-¿Cuánto gato hay, cree tú?
-Pue, hay sei, má o meno.

The Family: I'm living with an old woman (the acts likes she's 25) and a French exchange student. She cooks fantastically. I should also mention the eight or so neighbors that pass through our apartment every day for meals, chatting, watching the news...they're bassically family too.

And no, I'm not changing the name of my blog, despite the change of my residency.

1 comment: