Saturday, November 14, 2009

Faces

So I've learned that here I have to be careful when I talk to people and analyze emotions.

As I've found out, Americans express themselves much less. It's normal to have an entire conversation in a fairly stoic facial and vocal expression. Here, no vale.

In America, if someone asks you 'Why?' it might have a slight tilt of the head and eyes squinted a bit, or both together if the person is really inquisitive.

But here, when my mother for example asks me 'Why?' her entire face scrunches into something unrecognizable. I mistake it for anger every time and begin apoligizing.

My Economy teacher is what I would call fairly normal. He's teaching economy. Nothing especially emotionally gripping about that, therefore, no need to throw your arms into the air and recite Shakespeare. But all his students always remark on how emotionless he is.

I think Americans are more sensitive to faces and voices than the Spanish..it's normal for an American to hold in all his feelings and never express them, and so the slightest indicator of a feeling is noticed. It's fairly commonplace for my American friends to think there's something wrong with me when I'm just tired. My emotions have yet to be exaggerated in Spain.

On the contrary, I'm often called unexpressive. Personally, I think expression of emotion has its time and place, and many times and places it's inappropriate, or even hinderous. The Spanish don't seem to understand this.

No comments:

Post a Comment