Thursday, March 4, 2010

Coches

So (I think at least half my posts have started with that word) I've noticed much less dependency on cars here.

Here's something spooky: Ever since I got back to Cádiz from Madrid during Christmas break...I haven't been in a car.

In part, because I can't drive here. But also because:
I walk to school
All my friends are within walking distance
I have a bus system and train
Groceries are bought, at the largest frequency, once a week, eliminating the need for a car to carry groceries

None of these are true fo me where I live in CT.

My science teacher was explaining to our class that most Americans are more dependent on cars than Europeans, an odd concept for them.
Sure there are cars here, but there are lots more bikes and motos than in the States.

It's healthier, and greener. But it's just that Europe is really old, built upon a small city system, whereas the States is the contrary.

Funny American stereotype here: Everyone owns a car bigger than a house.
Which is only true in Texas. (I think that's three Southern jokes now. Rah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment