Monday, December 14, 2009

Ineficiencia

Now, I'm not going to say that the American educational system is better than the Spanish educational system...
Wait. Yes I am!

Honestly, school is what I miss most. Today, two of my classes consisted of the teacher talking with the students about their weekend or something, or whatever the hell it was, it certainly wasn't French.

My history teacher, is quite the card. He's a very learned man...but in terms of teaching norms, he's something else altogether.
For instance, if the class is too noisy, he blows a whistle. A really, really, loud whistle. This is of course, ironically, a whistle used to diminish the already noisey classroom. Head desk.
He also is typically Spanish in the sense that he switches before really happy and really upset very quickly. In my first class, he threw two students out of the classroom, and sang the Spanish national anthem.
Which is how we spent gym class: singing Christmas songs.

Gym class by the way, is an absolute joke. The gym equivilent of a test is a series of little physical tests of ability. HOW LONG CAN YOU STAND ON THIS L SHAPED ROD? HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU STAND AND SIT DOWN IN 12 SECONDS? HOW FAR CAN YOU JUMP OVER THIS BLOCK? RAWRAWRAWR.

I miss learning. Mucho.
Not to say we don't learn here but, Spanish public schools don't have levels. So everyone is at a different ability but has to be taught the same (reminds me of a few certain standarized tests I could mention) and it really does not work. I walked into French class with absolutely no French like half of my class, whilst the other half had up to four years of French. And the French teacher is a tool. He asked me today if 'everything worked down there' when I came back from the bathroom, and refuses to speak to me in Spanish. If I don't understand him in French, which I couldn't possibly, he switches to English. Such a waste of my time.

WHICH REMINDS ME! Everyone here tries to practice his English on me. Some of them actually want to learn, but most of them are too lazy to speak slower in their messy Spanish.
SPEAKING OF MESSY SPANISH, everyone here calls eachother 'picha' like 'dude' or whatever. Except 'picha' means penis, not a pokémon.

No comments:

Post a Comment